Code the Dream recently welcomed a new class of React interns who are currently working on a wide range of projects, from building calculators and tic-tac-toe boards to MeuTube, a custom-built YouTube playlist that allows for a more streamlined viewing experience. We asked four of our interns five questions, check out their experiences below!
- Tell me about yourself. I was born and raised in Rochester, NY. My family is of Puerto Rican descent.
- How has your experience with Code the Dream been so far? Code the Dream has treated me better than I could have expected up to this point. I’m in tune with CTD’s mission and goal. I believe prioritizing the people is what makes CTD a unique organization to produce talent in this fast-growing industry.
- What projects are you working on right now? At this time, I’m working on my portfolio and we started a second project in which my partner and I are collaborating ideas for a music app. We shall see how it turns out.
- What is your dream job? What I want is to make something out of myself, but to achieve that, I believe I need to surround myself with people in this group and people or are better than me so I can pick up talent. If you really want to know a “dream job” then it would be to reach out to people who are less fortunate than me. How do I accomplish that? Only time would tell.
- What music have you been listening to recently? I’ve listened repeatedly to “Welcome to this Party” by Dave East feat. King Shooter. I’m a huge fan of sub-genre gangsta rap. It gives me hype.
- Tell me about yourself. I grew up in Northern Virginia but moved to the Raleigh area over ten years ago. My hobbies include playing with my ferrets, crafting, and graphic design.
- How has your experience with Code the Dream been so far? My experience at CTD so far has been amazing! Learning skills in a classroom could never teach as they are at the forefront of what the industry is currently doing. CTD is unique because of the great people it brings together. You can’t get better diversity (and subsequently a better variety of creative ideas as a result) anywhere.
- What projects are you working on right now? All my current projects are React-based app building. Apps I’ve built or are building include a calculator, tic tac toe game, team picker to divide participants into teams randomly, and a music library/streaming app.
- What is your dream job? I’m still learning so my dream job may change but currently, I’d love to work for ReverbNation which is a Raleigh area site that helps manage and promote local musicians through their site.
- What music have you been listening to recently? A group called The Head and The Heart is what I’ve been listening to a lot lately.
- Tell me about yourself. My family is from El Salvador, a beautiful country in Central America. They migrated to Los Angles in the late ’80s. I was born in Los Angeles and moved to Durham at the age of four, where I have been ever since. My hobbies are fishing, some cooking, and spending time with my family.
- How has your experience with Code the Dream been so far? My experience has been awesome so far. I have made new friends and mentors through the program, and have also learned new programming languages that I’m excited to continue learning.
- What is your dream job? My dream job is to be part of a great team that will help me keep developing my skills. I want to give back to the community by helping kids learn about programming and technology and opening their minds to a new world of possibilities, as CTD has done for me.
- Duke or UNC? Blue Devils all day!
- Tell me about yourself. I’m originally from Ocotepeque, Honduras but have lived in Durham since I was around five years old. I love playing soccer, even though I don’t play as much as I would want. I recently have gotten into coding, which can be more of a love/hate thing, but I truly do enjoy it!
- How has your experience with Code the Dream been so far? My experience at Code the Dream so far has been absolutely great. Everyone at CTD is extremely nice and just cool to talk to!
- What projects are you working on right now? We just finished up a group project building board game. So far I’ve learned some CSS, a little bit of fire base and how it works, and some other things as well.
- What is your dream job? I want to work in a friendly environment where people are eager to help you with the problems you are having.
- Duke or UNC? DUKE!!! All day!