APPLICATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.
Interested in helping grow a North Carolina-based national nonprofit with a unique model for expanding opportunity for diverse low-income communities?
The position: Code the Dream, a Durham, NC based national non-profit, is seeking a strong candidate for its first strategic fundraising position, Director of Partnerships & Development.
Application Deadline: September 14
Start Date: As soon as possible, but we’re flexible!
Location: Our main office is in RTP (Raleigh/Durham, NC), but we will consider a remote hire for the right individual!
About Code the Dream: Code the Dream is a rapidly growing nonprofit where people from diverse backgrounds — often low-income, minority, and immigrant communities — learn to code. After their classroom training, new coders have a chance to join CTD Labs, where they gain valuable experience building a wide range of apps for nonprofits, local government, and startups. The result is a unique win-win, where students go on to life-changing careers in tech and our communities benefit from the innovative new apps they develop.
Code the Dream (CTD) was started in Durham, NC in 2015. Almost from the start, CTD received applications from students from around the country. In 2019, we launched a remote model allowing our program to go national, and now have students and CTD Labs apprentices in a dozen states. At the same time, Code the Dream has been getting more attention in the media, and we’re fortunate to have a lot of positive buzz.
From 2017 to 2020, Code the Dream more than tripled in size. However, our team has never included anyone focused on fundraising strategy and implementation. We have been fortunate that our model is very compelling and sits at an important intersection of (tech) education, workforce/economic development, social justice (including racial justice and immigrant and refugee rights), and innovation. But as demand for our work continues to far outpace our resources, strategic thinking and execution around fundraising is overdue and should allow us to greatly broaden our base of support and the scope of our impact.
The Director of Partnerships & Development: Code the Dream is seeking an experienced development officer who will help scale our unique model by growing our funding from foundations, corporations and individuals.
- Participate as part of the organization’s leadership team in decision-making regarding Code the Dream’s long term national goals and strategy.
- Work with the Executive Director and senior staff to hone CTD’s overall fundraising strategy and vision.
- Create annual fundraising plans, including foundation, corporate and individual support.
- With support from the Executive Director and Board Chair, take the lead in ensuring that the staff and board execute on the organization’s fundraising plan.
- Conduct prospect research; make initial contacts and build relationships for foundation, corporate and individual giving.
- Manage a portfolio of up to 100 donor prospects.
- Coordinate staff grant writing and reporting.
- Provide input on and oversee fundraising database and tracking systems, as well as contribution recognition programs.
- Act as an ambassador for Code the Dream in public facing meetings, conferences and events.
- Participate as part of the leadership team in making decisions relating to the organization’s earned-income social enterprise strategies to ensure long-term sustainability.
Partnerships and Strategy (20%):
- Work with Executive Director and other senior staff to form and foster strategic partnerships with other nonprofit and corporate partners with complementary strengths and goals in terms of social mobility and equal access to opportunity through tech.
- Contribute to and help guide CTD’s communications strategy.
Code the Dream is a fast growing organization where everyone wears multiple hats. This position will play an important role in creating an approach and executing on strategies to achieve our partnership and fundraising goals within a cross-collaboration workforce model. However, we know that this is a fairly broad scope, and are interested to hear from candidates how they would approach the role.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years experience in nonprofit fundraising, management and strategic partnerships, or comparable for-profit positions.
- A “self-starter” driven to make improvements and achieve or exceed goals.
- Detail-oriented, with ability to see and manage the big picture while maintaining strong follow through on individual tasks.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- A “people person” who enjoys and excels at building relationships.
It would be great if you also had… (No, we don’t expect you’ll have all / most of these!)
- Experience in fundraising in one or more of the following nonprofit sectors: education, workforce/economic development, tech/innovation, (social) entrepreneurship, immigrant/refugee rights, racial economic justice.
- Experience in fundraising on a national scale.
- Relationships or familiarity with the tech sector.
- Some familiarity with, or at least curiosity about, software development.
- Experience engaging local and national media coverage.
- Experience with communications
Additionally, our candidate is:
- Passionate about social justice and equal opportunity, and believes that technology can and should help us accomplish both.
- Comfortable (and enjoys!) working with people whose backgrounds are different from your own.
- Self-motivated and has a proven track record of setting and accomplishing ambitious goals.
This is a full-time position with paid vacation and health and retirement benefits.
Code the Dream is an equal-opportunity employer. Candidates of color and those from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.