Welcome to the CTD Volunteer Toolkit!
Thank you for volunteering at Code the Dream! As you know, volunteers are crucial to Code the Dream — we can’t do what we do without them. This toolkit should provide you with what you need to help spread the word about this volunteer opportunity.
If there is any other information you need, please contact Reid (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Find details about all volunteer roles with Code the Dream on our Volunteer Opportunities page. Some important information to convey to potential volunteers:
- All Remote: All Code the Dream volunteer work can be done remotely.
- Volunteer Interest Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. Anyone who signs up on this interest form will receive an invitation.
- Small-group mentors: Our biggest volunteer need is for programmers to serve as small-group mentors and asynchronous assignment reviewers for our 16-week classes.
- Project Coaches: CTD also needs volunteers to work closely with small teams of students who are learning how to work in a team environment to create a real-world small project, in either React.js with Firebase as a back end, Node.js, or Ruby on Rails.
- Workshop Leaders: CTD also needs volunteers who want a one-time volunteer opportunity to lead a one-hour workshop on an issue in their area of expertise (“Skill-ITs”).
Class Information for Mentor Roles
Find all details about the upcoming classes at our Class Info Site. The next class dates are: July 20-Nov 08 for the Intro to Programming class. Mentor orientation will be held 2 weeks before that.
Social Media Information
Graphics to Share
Graphics Folder: CTD Volunteer Toolkit
Sample Posts and Tweets
- Sample #1 Change the face of the tech industry! Volunteer to remotely mentor diverse coding students at Code the Dream! https://codethedream.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Sample #2 Mentor the next generation of diverse programmers! Volunteer at Code the Dream and change the face of tech. All work can be done remotely, learn more at https://codethedream.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Sample #3 Build your own coding skills while remotely mentoring diverse coding students at Code the Dream! Learn more at https://codethedream.org/volunteer-opportunities/
Sample Email to Send to Potential Mentors
Right now, a tech nonprofit named Code the Dream (CTD) is looking for volunteer software developers to help change the face of the tech industry. CTD offers free, online classes in software development geared towards underrepresented communities in the tech industry. In CTD Labs, apprentices hone their software development skills by building apps for nonprofits and entrepreneurs—usually representing or aiding underrepresented communities, as well.
Volunteering with CTD does make a difference. In 2021:
- More than two million people nationally were served by websites and apps developed in CTD Labs.
- Thirty-nine of those websites and apps helped farmworkers, rural entrepreneurs and small businesses, and addressed issues of immigrant rights, racial justice, healthcare, and education.
- Code the Dream has more than tripled its growth over the last two years, from its start as a grassroots organization serving people in North Carolina to serving students and communities in 12 states, from a permanent staff of 4 to a staff of 12, with 34 full time software apprentices.
- 85% of CTD Labs apprentices go on to launch a career in tech.
Volunteers can help teach CTD’s online classes, guide CTD Labs’ software development projects, or lead professional development sessions with CTD Labs apprentices. Learn more about volunteering with Code the Dream their Volunteer Opportunities page.
Thanks and take care!